Welcome To Five points Eye Care!
Five Points Eye Care Center is the best place in the Athens area to keep your eyes healthy while also helping you achieve the finest possible vision. We offer specialized care for people who have lost vision from eye diseases (our low vision rehabilitation clinic), children with vision and visual processing problems (our vision therapy and pediatric clinic) and patients with a challenging contact lens or glasses needs.
Let us know how we can help you!
Eyeglass Frame Materials
- Zylonite (zyl) or cellulose acetate is a very cost-effective and creative option for eyewear and is extremely lightweight. Because of zyl, there are an endless array of colors and textures that can be achieved with plastic frames. Some manufacturers also use cellulose acetate propionate, a nylon-based plastic that is hypoallergenic. It’s lightweight and has more transparency and gloss than other plastics.
- NaturalPX is a lightweight, fexible, eco-friendly material used to manufacture polymer eyeglass frames. naturalPX is made from organically sourced and renewable products, as 65% of it is based on oil extracted from the seeds of castor oil plants.
- Titaniumand beta-titanium are also popular materials for eyeglass frames. Titanium is a silver-gray metal that’s lightweight, durable, strong, corrosion-resistant and hypoallergenic. It has been used for everything from spacecraft to implantable medical devices such as heart valves. Titanium eyewear can be produced in a variety of colors.
- Stainless steel is readily available and reasonably priced. It’s an alloy of steel and chromium and may also contain another element. Most stainless steels contain anywhere from 10 to 30 percent chromium, which provides excellent resistance to corrosion, abrasion and heat.
- Flexonis a titanium-based alloy. This unique and popular material, originated by the eyeglass manufacturer Marchon, also is called “memory metal.” Frames made of Flexon come back into shape even after twisting or bending. Flexon frames are lightweight, hypoallergenic and corrosion-resistant.
These are but a sample of materials but frames can be made using many different methods and materials, including eco-friendly ones. Ask our opticians if you have certain allergies or are curious about our naturalPX and 3-D printed frames!
Vision Therapy Success Story
Our Vision Therapy Clinic helps kids who are struggling to read and have problems with their schoolwork. We also work to give them back their confidence. Gus is one such success story. Gus was having trouble reading in a left to right pattern. Buttoning his pants and tying his shoes was difficult and he was getting lost looking from his desk and then to the blackboard. Gus is now reading on grade level, no longer needs visual aids and he’s more confident with his school work. He can also see well enough now to play sports! His parents stress that commitment to the homework is key and that Noemi is a great Vision Therapist!
The Fred Award
Every month, we have our employees nominate another employee for our “Fred Award” A “Fred” is someone who goes out of their way to uphold our practice core values of Excellence in Eye Care, Patients Come First, and Lead by Example. As a practice, we not only want our employees to come to work to get the day’s job done, but to strive to work harder each and every day for the sake of the practice as a whole.
The Fred Award for the month of April goes to Celeste!
Celeste embodied FPEC values and a selfless attitude when she went out of her way to drop off medication to a patient who was unable to make it into the office. We are lucky to have her!
News From Our
Ask us about our lightweight, flexible, stylish, colorful and eco-friendly eyeglass frames!